Looking for just the right employees? Try this simple personnel test.
Take the job applicants and put them in a room with only a table and two chairs. Leave them alone for two hours, without any
instruction. At the end of that time, go back and see what they are doing.
- If they have taken the table apart, put them in engineering.
- If they are counting the cigarette butts in the ashtray, assign them to finance.
- If they are waving their arms and talking aloud, send them to consulting.
- If they are talking to the chairs, personnel is a good spot for them.
- If they are wearing green sunglasses and need a haircut, computer information systems is their niche.
- If the room has a sweaty odor, perhaps they’re destined for the help desk.
- If they mention the good price for the table and chairs, put them in purchasing.
- If they mention that hardwood furniture does not come from rain forests, public relations would suit them well.
- If they are sleeping, they are management material.
- If they are writing up the experience, send them to the technical writing team.
- If they don’t even look up when you enter the room, assign them to security.
- If they try to tell you it’s not as bad as it looks, send them to marketing.