The young Ensign approached the crusty old Chief and asked him about the origin of the commissioned office insignias.
“Well, Ensign, it’s history and tradition. First, we give you a gold bar representing that you’re valuable BUT malleable. The silver bar of a Lieutenant Junior Grade represents value, but less malleable. When you make Lieutenant, you’re twice as valuable so we give you two silver bars.
“As a Captain, you soar over military masses, hence the eagle. As an Admiral, you’re obviously a star. That answer your question?”
“Yeah, but what about Commanders and Lieutenant Commanders?”
“Now that goes waaaaaay back in history. Back to the Garden of Eden even. You see, we’ve always covered our pricks with leaves… “
These are actual lines out of OER (Officer Efficiency Report) performance appraisal for the military.
- Not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
- Got into the gene pool while the lifeguard wasn’t watching.
- A room temperature IQ.
- Got a full 6-pack, but lacks the plastic thingy to hold it all together.
- A gross ignoramus – 144 times worse than an ordinary ignoramus.
- A photographic memory but with the lens cover glued on.
- A prime candidate for natural deselection.
- Bright as Alaska in December.
- One-celled organisms out score him in IQ tests.
- Donated his body to science before he was done using it.
- Fell out of the family tree.
- Gates are down, the lights are flashing but the train isn’t coming.
- Has two brains; one is lost and the other is out looking for it.
- He is so dense, light bends around him.
- If brains were taxed, he’d get a rebate.
- If he were any more stupid, he’d have to be watered twice a week.
- If you give him a penny for his thoughts, you’d get change.
- If you stand close enough to him you can hear the ocean.
- One neuron short of a synapse.
- Some drink from the fountain of knowledge…he only gargled.
- Takes him 1.5 hours to watch 60 minutes.
- Was left on the Tilt-A-Whirl a bit too long as a baby.
- Wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead.